Image HTML map generator

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

TRAVEL | tokyo misc

About a month ago my sister and I travelled to Tokyo for 8 days



On day 1 Kelly and I decided to keep it simple and just explore our neighborhood. We lived in the Asakusa district so there was plenty to explore. Since we rose early that morning (due to extreme jet lag) we got to see Asakusa before the swarms of tourists filled up the streets. Since we had absolutely no idea where to start, the hostel staff kindly pointed us in the direction of Sumida Park for a stroll down a road lined with cherry blossom trees. It was pretty amazing and I now have a newfound appreciation for spring.




For our last two nights in Tokyo Kelly and I moved to a Ryokan in the Ueno district. It wasn’t too far from our original Asakusa district so we just packed our bags and hopped onto a cab. They say never take cabs in Tokyo because it’ll cost you and arm and a leg but it was soooooo worth it. By our 5-6th day, Kelly and I were dead tired from all the walking—10pm bedtime was inevitable. Anyways, we rented a room at the inn for two nights. It was adorable! Complete with sliding doors and tatami floors. While I was initially disappointed our Ryokan didn’t serve traditional japanese breakfasts anymore, the service and other accommodations were wonderful. 
Pictured above: Our neighborhood. Very charming, barely any tourists, and only a 10 minute walk from the famous Ueno park. If you happen to visit Ueno Park in the spring, go buy some dango (団子). Hands down best thing I ate that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment